Saturday, October 22, 2005

I debated with myself, and decided to go ahead
and post this. Tell me if these lyrics are arrogant
or misguided.

Last night after coffee I drove to a random empty
parking lot and popped the trunk of my aztec
enough to get some light coming in from West
6th and sat in the back of my car, just thinking
for a long while. Then I wrote this (I added the
second half over breakfast this morning).

A Song About Women and Men, written by a woman
still single

I'm not looking for a man who wants to control me
I'm waiting for a man who just wants to know me
I'm searching for a man who knows how to show me
that he always has time for me

I just left a man who now thinks that I'm crazy
But isn't it strange he didn't think that before
I was so rational when I was his lady
That's what he thought till my love hit the door

But I don't think I changed, I think he didn't know me
He loved me because I seemed easy to control
And I was so convincing with the way that I kissed him
I even convinced my heart but not my soul

But his words sting in my ear, when after I tried to explain
he said, "You used me dear", and on and on he complained

So hate me baby for giving you a try
Paint your frustration as blue as the sky
But you'll never make me regret this day
I'm feeling mighty thankful with every word you say

Let me teach you something about women as a whole
We're much more flexible than any man could know
So don't be so surprised if I bend and I change
It's the way that I function, it's the way I was made

But most every woman needs a man who is strong
A man who is steady and secure, who she leans on
A man who's slow to change his opinion about her
for this petty reason, that she walked out the door

And maybe that seems like a lot to expect
But if you haven't noticed, we pay a lot for what we get
We know how to love like nothing's ever gonna change
Even though tomorrow we may not feel the same

And if you love us with a love that is steady and strong
We'll want to come back to it and the heart that such love comes from

So don't hate me baby for giving you a try
It's not like I wanted to let the feeling die
But I could sense the outline of a hole inside of you
that I just could not fit my whole self into

4 comments:

renee said...

lisa, i would totally call you right this second, except that i should have been in bed two hours ago and i am quite ill... tomorrow, i hope!

Joel said...

Since you solicited comments...

His position was that he loved you despite thinking you're crazy; that opinion was there long before the two of you split. In addition, one must be careful to differentiate between "controlling" as opposed to just asking for a little consistency and the opportunity to discuss the status of the relationship as opposed to letting one person define it and make those assumptions/decisions. Maybe he was trying to be controlling, but no more than you were...so to call someone out for that when admitting none of the same for yourself IS misguided.

Along the "arrogant" track...believe it or not, your attempts to speak on behalf of all women are both misguided and arrogant. Plenty of women are much more independent and flexible without having to pretend that's the explanation or justification for whatever they're doing. Whatever issues your subject may have when it comes to relationships, this is a pretty scathing, one-sided look at the situation that certainly looks out of place amidst the Bible verses and random inspirational quotes.

Joel said...

Yeah...I mean, let's face it...most of what's going to get posted on blogs will be one-sided, and it wouldn't be the internet if it weren't somewhat arrogant.

Lisa Bender said...

Thanks all for the comments.

I can accept that it's a bit one-sided.

Sometimes it's hard to see things from another person's perspective, but I need to keep trying....but they also need to understand mine, and I guess that's all that was - my personal, somewhat flawed perspective.

Here's to less arrogance for me.