Friday, October 15, 2010

 

Hello!  I am finally back to blogging after a long departure.  Well, you see, I had important business to attend to.  June through September was taken up with planning the wedding and also moving since Jim got a new teaching job (6th grade communication arts position at a great school district) in July.  So we found an apartment, and it has been pretty non-stop until just recently.  The wedding went better then I ever would have dreamed.  I love the way my family came together and made it beautiful.  I loved all the music, both vocal and instrumental.  Did I mention the pipe organ?  And Pastor Len spoke such meaningful words to us.  I cried right before Dad gave me away, but just a little, under my veil.  I'm not sure if anyone noticed.  And I just treasured the speeches at the reception.  Maralee was sweet and funny, and Mae was pure love.  I was so blessed.  I am so blessed.  Whatever may come in my life, I've already received such a gift just in being able to experience such a wedding to such a good man.  Jim's speech was perfect, and I even settled my debts with Renee and Abby (I had to pay them $20 each since we made a bet in college on who would get married first!) and I sang and played a song at the reception.  I just really wanted to do that.

Jim and I had a perfect couple days at Niagra Falls, Canada side.  We rode bikes around Goat Island and just enjoyed the scenery and basking in the glow of our new life together.  And what would a honeymoon be without a fight?  We accomplished that one on the plane ride back to Kansas City, ha ha.  We're still learning how to live and love together, but I am greatly encouraged by realizing that our fights are getting less severe, and we are getting better at communicating and nipping things in the bud.

I am now a married woman, and honestly, I am loving it.  I will not sugar-coat it, there have been, and I'm sure will continue to be in the future, really hard moments and hard days.  But having this commitment has been so good.  When I have those times when I just do not understand Jim and I don't even believe he loves me or that he wants to understand me, I am coming to understand more and more the work that God is trying to do in me.  I am beginning to see that I need to learn to love this man who is very different than me, and that, even when I do not feel it, he really does love me and will not stop loving me when I fail him.  That is not an easy thing to really learn and believe, but I've been making good progress, by the grace of God, and thanks to this wonderful man who I now call "husband."

I am so blessed to be truly loved by Jim.  I know God's sustaining love is the only love I can fully rely on, because human love can be so fragile, but I am very aware of the blessing I have received in the love of this man.  He is very patient and kind, and that makes life so pleasant.  He doesn't react quickly. and that can be hard for me at times when I need assurance, but it is also so good for me and such a blessing when I am needing some time to process things.  Jim lets me be me, but also challenges me to rise above my sometimes natural inclination to sadness and self-pity.

Alright, enough relationship analysis.  I hope you are enjoying this beautiful month!  If you came to the wedding, you will most likely be receiving a thank you note from me soon, if you haven't already.  Jim and I are overwhelmed and grateful for all the support we received from family and friends before, during and after the wedding.  It was a truly amazing experience.

And now, as I transition back into this new "normal" life, I pray that God will increase in me a sense of urgency for pursuing the things above.  I want to be committed to prayer and the Word and fixing my eyes above.  I do not want to waste my life or squander even one of the rich blessings I have been given.  There are so many people to pray for and truths to meditate on, and doing so infuses such meaning in to the everyday duties.

I am enjoying cooking and cleaning and taking care of the apartment, honestly.  It all seems so important now that I'm married.  I want to bless Jim and make his life as a married man so much better then it was before.  I hope I am achieving this.  : )  I think he would say yes, because he is nice, and maybe also because it is true. 

I want to wish Abby and Tim a very happy engagement!!  I was so excited when she called and told me a few days ago.  How awesome!  I officially like that Tim a whole lot now.  He has a very sweet and special girl, and he is smart for snatching her up.  It was great to meet him, and also Renee's Matt at the wedding.

I leave you with a few more photos.  Enjoy!








1 comment:

Mark and Cristy said...

Thanks for the update! Glad things are going well. -Mark