Thursday, January 17, 2008

Insights from Pastor Bill:

Catholics are a highly eclectic group of people,
loosely unified in name, practice, and because of
the Pope. As far as the beliefs and theologies held
by the various individuals, the Catholic church is
extremely diverse. Some are hard-core with
Pergatory, Penance, and hold fast to the immaculate
conception of Mary and her sinlessness. And others
are far less enthusiastic about these practices and
beliefs, holding them only loosely, and with uncertainty.

IF I ever became a Catholic, I would be extremely on
the latter side, what John refers to as a "Cafeteria Catholic"
who sort of picks and chooses the doctrines they like.

However, I don't see that ever happening. The issues above,
as well as the claim that they are the "one true church" do
not sit well with me. Pergatory and Penance seem to diminish
the work of Christ, and I have been impacted by far too many
non-Catholic Christians to believe that "the true Church" only
exists in Catholic circles.

Pastor Bill also pointed out that there may be SOME parallel
between the good-intentioned Judaizers who took the law
of God and detailed and codified it so much, in order to keep
from breaking it, that they ended up loosing its original intent
and became the Pharisees that Jesus rebuked. They were so
careful to keep the law that they lost their faith in God.

I can see that tendency or risk at the Catholic church. But I
would not go so far as to say that if you are Catholic you will
definitely fall into this trap. I don't think it is inevitable, just
a risk.

At the same time Pastor Bill pointed out the tendency of
Protestants to forget that "faith without works is dead." We
run the risk of emphasizing the difference between justification
and sanctification SO MUCH that we slack off in our church
attendance, confession of our sins, living sacrificially, and
giving to the needy. These are all aspects of the Christian
life that Catholics emphasize and probably do a better job
at overall, with some exceptions of course.

So there are harmful tendencies on both sides to watch out
for. But which church has more of the truth? Honestly, I
don't even know if this question matters. I think we have
the responsibility to answer this question to the best of our
ability, but I don't think we need to worry too much.

I think a more important question then which church is the
best church is how can I be laying down my life in order to
live in Christ? Or maybe: Which church do I feel God has
called me, or is calling me to? What church is helping me
to know and to love God more, be more committed to His
Word and His body of believers, to honor Christ my Lord,
and to really live out what I believe?

These are just more thoughts from me to you. I offer them
with a lot of humility because I know that I know so little.
But I am trying to honestly think through these things in
order to come to a decision about whether or not I could
marry a Catholic; a decision that I can have peace in my
own heart about before God. This is a very tricky thing
when you have strong forces pulling you in two different
directions. But ultimately, it's not about either of those
horizontal directions, but the one vertical one.

Thank you for all who have been praying for me. I need
and appreciate that more than you could ever know.

I think I am coming to a point of decision, or at least, to
a new point in my thought processes. Please let me know
any thoughts or comments that you feel led to share with me.
I am still very interested, though I admit I could never go back
to believing that it is extremely difficult to be a Catholic and
to be a true, growing Christian. I know too many of those now.

No comments: