Monday, April 17, 2006

Here I am, in this little apartment.
Just wrapped up a very good Easter.
I had lunch with friends, cooked a
lot, and talked with Kelley, Renee,
mom, and two boys from church
One of them I called because he
informed me via e-mail that I had
hurt him by a previous e-mail of
mine. I had to apologize. We're
good now.

The other boy informed me that
BOB DYLAN IS PLAYING IN KC
TOMORROW!

And guess who's going?
me, me, me!!!
This is probably his last tour,
and come on, I can't pass this up,
I mean, I spent four years listening
to a certain TFC prof. recount in
mind-boggling detail all the Dylan
concerts he's been to and how no
two are the same...musical genius...
etc. IT'S BOB DYLAN. I've gotta go.
Plus, I actually can afford it this month.
woo hoo!!!!!! (am I excited? yes.)

In other news, I think I am growing up,
at least, a bit. I think I have made some
good steps in the life-long battle of
training my mind to not accept thoughts
that come from emotions that would lead
me away from God. Praise God for this!
I know I still have a long ways to go.

Possibly, I am just getting used to living
alone. But come August I am planning on
moving in with my dear friend Naomi, and
I'm sure that will bring to light many more
things I need to work on. That's the beauty
of relationships, right? They help you to grow
and make you more aware of the weaknesses
and flaws that you can become accustomed
to ignoring or glazing over. So bring it on!

(It's easy to write that now...but I really do
want to grow, deep down, by whatever
means God sees fit. However, Naomi and
I do get along quite well.)

So, how are you? Busy? Yeah, you probably
are. Why are we all SO BUSY!!! Life in America
is craziness.

God, I know I would be better off if I made more
time to meditate on Your Word. Please forgive
me and help me. Help us all to draw near to
you every day in whatever moments you allow.
Help us not to miss those moments, and to be
thankful in general. We have so much in You.

In Africa, I hear there are horrible things happening
related to their civil wars. In my classroom at school
there are kids that have so much crap to deal with,
both at home, and inside of themselves emotionally.
So much to pray about. So much to take to God
every day and trust that he hears every prayer, and
sees the oppression and all that's wrong in the world,
and trust that in Christ, all things work together for
good for those who believe in Him and are called by
Him. Oh, that I would believe this, even if I lived in
the middle of death and destruction, and not in a
priviledged society.

There's a lyric I once wrote in a song back in high
school that really convicted me when the song came
up on my iTunes. The line was:

"I thank, I thank You Lord. You have been so good to me.
But I would still praise You Lord from the depths of misery.
Because my faith in Your goodness does not depend
on the way that I feel.
For it is through the hard times that You refine me
and Your love is revealed."

Man, I don't always follow through with this. Sometimes,
the depths of misery get the best of me.

However....
I am learning, slowly. Perseverance is about always
getting up the next day and trying again, never giving
up the fight against my flesh and sinful desires, and
my desire to see more than what God is allowing me to see.
Some days it seems easier than others.

Be encouraged, friend. He has overcome the world.
Thank you for the role you have played and are playing
in my life.

1 comment:

Lisa Bender said...

The friend who told me about it. Maybe he was just guessing, but I heard some people saying it might be at the show too. I dunno. ?