Sunday, December 18, 2005

Yesterday I did something impulsive. On a whim, I
decided to go home. I wasn't going to because I'm
going to be home in a week anyway, but you see,
Mark and the gang came up from Texas to celebrate
Christmas early for various reasons, and so this year's
Christmas was set to be very small (Maralee and Brian
can't make it home either, or Loren), so I just had to
go. It was so great to be there and hear the kids play
piano, sing, and recite the Christmas story, and pretend
to be a kitty cat with Luke (random, I know).

Summary of happenings:

I'm getting a new job. At the start of next semester
I am going to go from Shelter Para to Behavioral
Disorder Para. Yipee!! I'm very excited becuase these
are the kids I already know and love, and now I'll just
get to work with them more instead of moving around
so much. The position opened up because one of the
B.D. Paras is quitting. This is a big answer to prayer
because it means 40 hrs. a week instead of 32.5. I
really could use the money.

I am on the verge of finishing "Howard's End" but
almost don't want to because I'm enjoying it so
much. The story and characters have entranced me.
Margaret and Helen, the Wilcox's, their differences,
the marriage between Magaret and Henry, the tension
that arises from Henry not being able to connect the
mistakes he has made with the sins of others he sees as
lower, lesser beings than he... It's fascinating.

I heard about ice storms in Georgia. Toccoa friends,
did this affect you?

I have been taking Folic Acid and sublingual vitamin
B12 for a couple weeks now (my mom read something
about its benefits for those who suffer mood swings /
mild depression) and I've noticed a change. It's not
huge, but it's like it takes the edge off of my downer
moods. They're not quite as low it seems. I am
very grateful about this. If you suffer from this as
well, I recommend looking into this natural solution.

I really enjoyed "The Chronicles of Narnia." The whole
thing with someone innocent dying in the place of a
traiter reversing the code of death - that was great.
I had never read the books, so this was my first
encounter with Lewis' creative children's masterpiece.
It was really good.

I wrote a song about telephone poles and played it at
the coffeehouse, along with Christmas and other songs.
It was fun.

Kristi had a great party at her house last Friday night. It
has been great getting to know 20's and 30's people more
and more....and learning to salsa dance a little in the
process. (emphasize "a little") Speaking of, I'm supposed
to go meet up with them for a little more Christmas
festivities at Rachel's house.

I leave you with a new song blurb, written in the car this
afternoon, remembering the drive to Lincoln Sat. night
in the snow, on lonely, scary, country roads.


There's a city carved out of the middle of nowhere Nebraska
Lincoln, you are my guiding star
Everything's cold as ice in the middle of December
Lincoln you shine like a frozen star

Guide me home - I've been lost out in the country
Guide me home on these dark and icy roads
Guide me home to a love that I can lean on
I keep coming back to you, even when you're cold

to this city carved out of the middle of nowhere Nebraska
Lincoln you are my guiding star
I've been melting in the warmth of the cities far below you
Lincoln you are like a frozen scar

Guide me home - I've been lost out in the country
Guide me home on your dark and icy roads
Guide me home to the love I've learned to lean on
I keep coming back to you even when you're cold
'cause you've got something that I need way down in your frozen soul

And in a couple of months it will all be set free to sing again
and I will come dance in the sun like a child

Renee and Abby - I can't wait to see you girls soon.
All the rest in various far away places - wish I could see you soon.
To all - Merry Christmas time!!!

3 comments:

Lisa Bender said...

wow, scary stuff! glad you're ok and it wasn't any worse.

Kristi said...

Merry Christmas, Lisa! I highly recommend A Room with a View after you're done with Howards End. Another great Forster novel. I've been taking my B vitamins more faithfully lately, thanks to you.

Lisa Bender said...

Amen! Thanks guys for the comments. They just gave me a burst of encouragement that I needed.

Joe, I'm glad you went back. :-) Kristi, I am interested in that book, and Bethany, I'm glad to hear it has helped you as well. :-)